Cowhide Physician's Bag 'The Radcliffe'
Accession #: 2009110
Description: This bag was owned and used by Dr John Henry Williams of Barry, South Wales who called it his 'Midder Bag'. The bag is in exceptionally good condition. The mechanism allows it to be propped fully open so that the removable, washable buttoned-in cotton liner can be exploited to retain clinically clean instruments (fig. DSC09724). This particular liner is provided with side pockets.
Identical to 'The Radcliffe' 16" bag, Downe Bros & Mayer Phelps.
The contents of the bag are catalogued #2009111 - 2009130
Loaned to Welsh Assembly for Pierhead Building exhibition 20/01/10 with most contents.
Dr John Henry Williams took over the General Practice of Dr Owen Thomas Jones MBE at 29 Court Road, Barry in 1928. He was local Treasury Medical Officer from 1927 to 1972 and a member of the Glamorgan Local Medical Committee from 1938 to 1968 and its chairman from 1961 to '68. He was Vice Chairman of the Executive Council from 1965 to '68. His son, Dr David Michael Jeremy Williams, MB, BCh (Wales) 1960, MD(Wales) 1978, joined him as a partner in 1962 and succeeded to the practice in 1965 when his father resigned from the National Health Service. DMJW's wife Dr Valerie Williams joined him as a partner in 1965
Dimensions: 410L x 220W x 320H mm